« Thrashed | Main | Oops »

June 17, 2008

Fact & Fiction

Democratic nominee for President Barack Obama:

I'm going to make... judgments not based on some fierce ideological pre-disposition, but based on what makes sense. I'm a big believer in evidence. I'm a big believer in fact... We've got offices like the patent office that are outdated to take advantage of new discoveries here in the United States.

With regard to patents, the greenhorn nominee appears all hat and no cattle. He doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. The "big believer in fact" seems fresh out.

Who knows what military-industrial-complex McCain thinks he knows about patents.

Previous Patent Prospector coverage: November 14, 2007

Other coverage (with thanks): Peter Zura at 271

Posted by Patent Hawk at June 17, 2008 1:08 PM | The Patent System

Comments

Each of these lame candidates will merely parrot their advisors' lines on patent issues. It would be worthwhile looking to see who might be the real man behind the curtain for each of them.

Posted by: pikkumatti at June 17, 2008 1:03 PM

I concur with pikkumatti. The fact that 'bama says this sounds more like the tripe that you hear on slashdot: smart people, in general, but wildly misinformed about patent law. And, really, who can say with any certainty that they understand the ins-and-outs of the patent system without having been neck deep in it.

Find out who the patent policy wonk is for the candidates. That would make for a much more interesting analysis.

Posted by: mmm at June 17, 2008 1:10 PM

McCain has Tim Muris (ex Chairman of the FTC commission) as one of his economic advisors. At first blush Tim Muris would seem as just you're run of the mill anti trust (anti patent) zealot but in fact he is nothing more then a bureaucratic mercenary doing the bidding for his benefactors, the DRAM cartel in their (now) desperate attempt to destroy Rambus Inc. They are all (in the FTC & DOJ) corrupt to their bone marrow.

If McCain is listening to Muris the tech robber barons (MSFT, CSCO, HP, ORCL, SUN, AAPL etc) will get their way and the patent deform (free pass for corporate piracy) will pass next year, unfortunately the same is probably true if Obama is elected…

The above is just my opinion.

Posted by: Regata De Blanc at June 17, 2008 2:13 PM

Change a comin' can you FEEL IT?

I'm a little curious though, how does something be "outdated to take advantage of new discoveries here in the United States."? Does he mean "[too] outdated to take advantage of new discoveries here in the United States."?

If that be so, I don't believe that we're too outdated, we just need competent subcontractors to make us a good EAST and someone to put together a nearly comprehensive database of technology predating 1995 or 2000 in such a way that it is not spread out amongst millions of patents but is instead put forth in a meaningful consolidated teaching. You'd see half the overclaims go out the window with a mere glance to such a compilation. And yes, I believe the people seeking patents should foot that huge, ginormous, bill. You want a right to exclude? Then contribute to the proper consolidation of knowledge.

Posted by: e6k at June 17, 2008 6:20 PM

Is that Lemley guy still Bama's IP advisor ?

Gosh, spare us from folks like Lemley who waste taxpayers money on meaningless academic writings without having any clue about how patents actually work in this god-eat-dog world by corporate design

BTW, e6k doesn't have a clue either, as usual
A patent holders hating patent examiner :-)

Posted by: angry dude at June 18, 2008 5:59 AM

So I should advise my kids NOT to go into science or engineering??
Why be a "sucker" and invent something if rich goliaths can just pirate it ????

Posted by: anonymousAgent at June 18, 2008 11:45 AM

Absolutely yes, dude, keep your kids as far away from science or engineering as possible

Why spend time, effort and money on your college degree only to find yourself unemployed with a 50K of student debt just because corporate america loves those cheap H1Bs (read slaves) who can share 1 bedroom among 5 people and sleep in shifts ?

Why invent something and go through all the hoops starting your own company if any multinational corporation can just copy your stuff and flood the market with cheap China -made copies leaving you the only prospect of spending the rest of your life in litigation ?

Democrats and republicans alike are working hard at destroying whatever incentives is left to be a scientist or engineer in America
Amen brother

Posted by: angry dude at June 19, 2008 6:00 AM

On another issue, ethanol, which is bad idea (from ecology, energy production, and economic perspectives) - Obama, knowing nothing, takes his cue from his advisors.

Posted by: Patent Hawk at June 23, 2008 12:01 AM

"Why spend time, effort and money on your college degree only to find yourself unemployed with a 50K of student debt just because corporate america loves those cheap H1Bs (read slaves) who can share 1 bedroom among 5 people and sleep in shifts?"

That's funny, my gf is a cheap H1B that share a small but decent apt in Bathesda with 3 white american, born right here in the good ol us of a, girls. Guess who makes the most out of all of them? Her, by 20k$.

"Why spend time, effort and money on your college degree only to find yourself unemployed with a 50K of student debt"

If you're unemployed you're not trying. No, seriously, I know at least 3 jobs that I can get anyone hired to right now. This minute. It'll pay for your roof, your bread, and your 'net until you can find something as glamorous as the PTO (lolz). I've had a job since I was 14, literally for almost the entire duration, only not having a job when I chose not to have one. Unemployed people in this country are people who aren't willing or capable of doing what it takes. Cry me a river, opportunity abounds! And I'm sure as heck not talking only about the incubated small patent enabled businesses.

Perhaps you can elaborate about why it is a bad idea hawk, because last I read the news was it was a lot worse than originally thought, but that it still was worth doing to some extent.

Posted by: e6k at June 23, 2008 3:20 AM

That is funny
it seems that PTO has hired a lot of street junkies lately
e6k is a good example of a PTO hiring mistake

Wanna try for a Walmart greeter position ?
Might bring you more personal satisfaction than writing junk office actions to annoy patent attorneys and their inventor clients
Gosh, I hope that you are not examining patent apps in my particular field
That would be horrible, just horrible
What can be worse than getting an absoluteluy clueless examiner ?

Posted by: angry dude at June 23, 2008 7:35 AM

Wanna try for a Walmart greeter position ?

Posted by: e6k at June 24, 2008 6:23 PM

"No, I'd rather take your job and show you how to do it right and without btching about changes to the system meant to benefit it. And it just so happens that's what I'm going to do, so remember that when you get your pink slip or all your clients mysteriously disappear."

ROFLMAO.

I pity the poor partner or senior associate who gets assigned the task of deprogramming you.

Posted by: JD at June 25, 2008 5:07 AM

"No, I'd rather take your job and show you how to do it right and without btching about changes to the system meant to benefit it"

I'm not an attorney, I'm a Ph.D. inventor and right now I am angry as hell looking at the gradual destruction of the US Patent System

Geesh, I was really lucky with my examiner
At least he was mature enough and decent enough to admit that he didn't quite understand some aspects of the complex patented technology and allowed me to explain it to him at the face-to-face interview
I can imagine a Ph.D inventor with his 400$ an hour patent attorney coming all the way to Wash DC to confront one of those fresh examiner punks like you... Horrible prospect
Just one word of advice: think carefully about what you put in your office actions cause they are saved forever and can be read by anybody

Posted by: angry dude at June 25, 2008 6:03 AM