« Fact & Fiction | Main | Fully Blown »

June 17, 2008

Oops

Allied Signal, owner of 6,287,955, failed to pay its maintenance fee, abandoning the patent. Changing its mind after the fact, the lament was that the lapse was unintentional.

In short, when this patent was not deemed to be profitable, a plurality of employees of the Assignee determined that this patent should be allowed to expire, and an intentional decision was made that the maintenance fee should not be submitted to the Office. However, now that it has been learned that there is commercial interest in this patent, the Assignee seeks to characterize the intentional decision to allow this patent to expire as "unintentional."

Posted by Patent Hawk at June 17, 2008 4:34 PM | Patents In Business

Comments

The analysis ends abruptly. Loyal readers are chagrined. Does the Prospector quest in meatspace for a replacement thesaurus? Of course the Amazon 1-click is verboten.

Posted by: Rorrim Rorrim at June 17, 2008 5:06 PM

Rorrim:

Thanks for inquiring.

I do my best not to overwrite a story. From your perspective, perhaps I succeeded with this one.

I considered the tale as told self-sufficient. Consider the chosen picture commentary. I do.

Posted by: Patent Hawk at June 17, 2008 5:35 PM

Hawk, sorry to be dim too but can you help me with the picture. I don't know who he is, and now I feel deprived. I have seen the image before somewhere, your blog perhaps. I guess he's a person associated with a lawyer's talent for telling, shall we say, imaginative and self-delusional stories.

Posted by: MaxDrei at June 17, 2008 10:20 PM

Hi Max:

The picture is of Alfred E. Newman, a prototypal, albeit fictional, American doofus.

From Wikipedia: "Neuman's famous catch phrase is the intellectually uncurious "What, me worry?""

Posted by: Patent Hawk at June 17, 2008 11:10 PM

All now clear thanks Hawk. BTW, interesting that the patent (following your link) has a filing date of 11/00 and an issue date of 09/01. The PTO was quicker then, I guess.

Posted by: MaxDrei at June 18, 2008 2:29 AM

"The PTO was quicker then, I guess."

Yes Max, that was before the very real American doofuses took control of that agency.

Posted by: Felix Smallbottoms at June 18, 2008 6:03 AM