« Danger! | Main | Presumption of Innovation »

March 16, 2009

Baby Gorilla

Matt Buchanan on Promote the Progress has a tidy analysis of Google's self-interest in patent reform. Matt makes two points: 1) as a youngster (a decade-old company), Google has no patent experience other than being sued. 2) Google already has monopoly power. Well put by Buchanan: "What can strong patent protection offer to Google, as a patent owner? Nothing more than spikes on the end of a giant club it already owns."

Posted by Patent Hawk at March 16, 2009 7:48 PM | The Patent System

Comments

Yeah and you know what is so funny about google having monopoly power? The way it got that power. Back when it was first starting out it wasn't that big of a deal, it was mentioned in the same breath as other no name, forgotten search engines that did just as good of a job back then. Literally, I heard of it first from a friend that told me about 4 or so search engines to try outside of yahoo. I tried them all, and the one I stuck with was google because IT DIDN'T POLUTE MY SCREEN.

Posted by: 6000 at March 16, 2009 8:42 PM

Folks are clueless as usual

There is a BIG difference between a client-side and a server-side technology, patentwise

Google was and for the most part is on a server side - well protected by trade secrets and (almost) shielded from patent suits

On a client side we had Netscape - another great upstart of the early Internet days
You do remember Netscape, folks?
Where is it now ? And why ?
Because it was all on a client-side - too easy for tech crocodiles like Mshit to rip off

But of course, nowadays Google is a big crocodile itself, despite the repeated mantra from the founder-punks about not being evil...

Posted by: angry dude at March 17, 2009 7:03 AM

netscape got outdone by what it was based upon.

iirc I left netscape when it kept crashing n ms finally gave me tabbed browsing which I had been wanting since I first discovered "open in a new window" but didn't want to use so many resources to open a whole new window, I wanted it open in the same window in another area.

Posted by: 6000 at March 17, 2009 10:41 AM

to6000:

You should really try to stay away from your comp, kid, for your own sake

And stop reading those trash wiki articles

Even Bol'shaya Sovetskaya Entsiklopediya is a much better read

Posted by: angry dude at March 17, 2009 7:09 PM

"iirc I left netscape when it kept crashing n ms finally gave me tabbed browsing"

6K abandoned the Netscape ship in June 2005 when the IE 6 toolbar finally gave him tabbed browsing???

Women and children first, I guess.

Wow 6K, I always thought you were on the *other* end of the bell curve.... :-)

Posted by: NIPRA anonymous at March 17, 2009 7:26 PM